First lady pushes Jay Leno to eat healthy foods
BURBANK, Calif. (AP) - February 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Jay ate the veggies. First lady Michelle Obama cajoled Jay Leno into nibbling on apples, sweet potato fries and a pizza made with eggplant, green peppers and zucchini on the "Tonight Show," breaking his long-held aversion for all-things-healthy in his diet.
Leno once told a magazine he hadn't eaten a vegetable since 1969, and he insisted he tasted his last apple in 1984. That didn't dissuade the first lady, who's promoting her "Let's Move!" campaign to get kids excited about fitness and healthy eating habits.
Earlier, Obama poked at him in a Twitter post, hinting she'd "get Jay to eat some veggies" on the NBC show.
"That does smell very good. I assume this is sausage-pepperoni," the comedian quipped as he eyed the pizza made with a whole-wheat crust.
She convinced Leno to dip an apple in honey made from beehives in the White House garden: "It will help it go down easier," she assured him.
"White House honey? That sounds bad," Leno told her. "You know, with a different president that could mean a whole different thing, 'a little White House honey.'"
The first lady is on a two-day swing through California where she'll promote her initiative while attending two events to help Democrats raise money for the upcoming elections.
She told Leno she's not doing anything special to prepare for what's expected to be a tough re-election campaign for her husband, President Barack Obama.
"You know, there's really no way to mentally prepare for it. You take each day as it comes," she said.
Republican Mitt Romney has been ridiculing the White House and might face the president in November, but the first lady graded the former Massachusetts governor's singing voice with something like a sly endorsement. Romney surprised supporters in Florida with an on-pitch version of "America the Beautiful" on Monday, and Leno asked the first lady for her opinion.
"It's beautiful," she said after a pregnant pause, with a laugh and raised eyebrows. "And it is America's song, and it's a song that's meant to be sung by every American," the first lady said in a taped appearance for the NBC show.
Leno told her, "That is right, regardless of political affiliation."
But she swooned over her husband's singing - Obama took a brief turn as a soul singer earlier this month at a New York fundraiser, crooning a bar from an Al Green classic. She says he does a little Marvin Gaye, too.
"He does have a beautiful voice, and he sings to me all the time," she told Leno.
michelle obama, jay leno, food, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 40 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 20 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead 36 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- South Jersey business burglar caught on camera 38 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 34 min ago
- Pennsylvania Turnpike pileup exposed gaps, officials say 3 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures