Mexico judge orders US producer to stand trial
CANCUN, Mexico (AP) -February 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Mexican judge on Wednesday ordered a U.S. reality television producer to stand trial in the killing of his wife at a Cancun resort in 2010.
Quintana Roo state prosecutor Ludwin Vivas Arjona said the judge ruled there is enough evidence to try former "Survivor" producer Bruce Beresford-Redman.
Beresford-Redman's lawyers couldn't be reached for comment. The producer has said he is innocent.
The body of Monica Beresford-Redman was found in a sewer cistern at a swank resort during a family vacation. The couple had gone there with their young children in an attempt to save their marriage after she learned her husband was cheating on her.
The defendant was flown to Cancun last week escorted by nearly a dozen Mexican agents.
The U.S. Marshals Service turned the Emmy-nominated producer over to Mexican federal police after State Department officials signed a warrant clearing his extradition.
Beresford-Redman opted in December not to appeal a U.S. court ruling upholding his extradition.
Part of the evidence in the case includes statements from hotel guests who said they heard loud arguing and cries of distress coming from the couple's room on the night Monica Beresford-Redman went missing.
The producer's lawyers have said that the noises came from Beresford-Redman and his children playing loud games throughout the night and add that there isn't any forensic evidence that he killed his wife.
trial, mexico, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies 16 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- Officer shoots, kills Lancaster County man
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- Penn State student dies in jump from garage
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ