Winfrey joins Kimmel's post-Oscar extravaganza
LOS ANGELES (AP) -February 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- Oprah Winfrey is the latest celebrity to join Jimmy Kimmel's seventh post-Oscar special.
ABC made the announcement Thursday.
Winfrey is making a rare late-night appearance at a time when her year-old cable channel, OWN, is trying to attract viewers after a rocky start. She's been more visible on the channel as well, with a new weekly series, "Oprah's Next Chapter."
Billy Crystal, who is hosting the Oscar ceremony, will help kick off "Jimmy Kimmel Live: After the Academy Awards." Nominees Meryl Streep, George Clooney and Martin Scorsese will be among the stars on hand.
A performance by Coldplay will wrap up the show.
Kimmel's Oscar-night special has yielded comedy pieces that became online sensations, including one with Sarah Silverman and Matt Damon and "Handsome Men's Club" featuring Matthew McConaughey and Sting.
The Oscars will air from a Hollywood theater Feb. 26 at 8:30 p.m. EST, with Kimmel's show to follow the awards and local newscasts.
oprah winfrey, jimmy kimmel, oscars, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest 4 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist 33 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 25 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply