Aretha Franklin: Health kept me from Houston's funeral
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -February 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Aretha Franklin says she can't attend Whitney Houston's funeral because of her health.
Franklin had been expected to sing at the service Saturday in Newark, N.J. She tells The Associated Press she has been having foot and leg problems. She gave a concert Friday and says her legs locked up late into the night.
She says she sends best wishes to Houston's relatives. Franklin is close with the family. Houston lovingly called her "Aunt Ree."
Houston, who was 48, died Feb. 11 in California, the day before the Grammy awards. About 1,500 guests are expected to attend the private service.
aretha franklin, whitney houston, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: 6 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty 50 min ago
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Photos: Pictures from the finger-bite mall attack
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Autopsy results released in death of Pa. Trooper's wife 4 min ago
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber