Bobby Brown issues statement on leaving Houston funeral
NEWARK, N.J. - February 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Whitney Houston's ex-husband, Bobby Brown, has issued a statement after briefly appearing at her funeral before leaving.
Brown arrived as the service began. He walked to the casket, touched it and walked to the back of the New Jersey church Saturday.
In a statement put out by his representative, he explained, "My children and I were invited to the funeral of my ex-wife Whitney Houston. We were seated by security and then subsequently asked to move on three separate occasions."
He continued, "I fail to understand why security treated my family this way and continue to ask us and no one else to move. Security then prevented me from attempting to see my daughter Bobbi-Kristina. In light of the events, I gave a kiss to the casket of my ex-wife and departed as I refused to create a scene. My children are completely distraught over the events. This was a day to honor Whitney. I doubt Whitney would have wanted this to occur." I will continue to pay my respects to my ex-wife the best way I know how."
Later Saturday, Brown was performing in Connecticut with New Edition. He appeared energetic and smiling and thanked the crowd for keeping his spirits up. At one point, he pointed his finger to the sky and said, "Blessings to my ex-wife, Whitney Houston. I love you."
Houston died Feb. 11. A cause of death hasn't been determined.
Houston and Brown were married 15 years and have one daughter. In 2003, police responding to a domestic violence call about Brown found Houston with a cut lip and bruised cheek. Their tumultuous relationship ended in 2007.
whitney houston, newark, new jersey, entertainment
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 17 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ