Idol's Adam Lambert to sing with rock band Queen
LONDON (AP) - February 21, 21012 (WPVI) -- Former "American Idol" singer Adam Lambert is joining landmark rock band Queen for one concert this summer, at Sonisphere 2012.
The former "American Idol" singer-songwriter will step into the late Freddie Mercury's shoes for the band's July 7 set at Knebworth Park in Stevenage, north of London.
Queen's Brian May and Roger Taylor confirmed the one-time collaboration Tuesday with Lambert, 30, a runner-up in season eight of the popular American TV song competition.
The Sonisphere show marks the third time Lambert has sung with the landmark band, following an eight-minute set at the MTV Europe Awards in November to celebrate Queen's Global Icon Award, and a 2009 performance of "We Are the Champions" on "American Idol."
"It's great, they are the coolest guys, they are so down-to-earth," Lambert told The Associated Press in a recent interview in London.
"They are very sweet and just to be up there doing this music is such an honor. Freddie Mercury was a hero to me and his voice, his song writing and being gay, the whole package is amazing," the American singer said.
Mercury's final concert with Queen also took place at Knebworth in August 1986. But Lambert, who is also gay and theatrical, insisted he was not trying to take Mercury's place.
"I in no way am trying to copy or mimic or replace Freddie or do what he did, that would be insulting to his memory and to the fans that hold him in such high regard," Lambert said. "I just am paying tribute. I am excited to sing the songs that he wrote and to try to give them some sort of flair that he would appreciate."
A new single from Lambert's highly anticipated second album "Trespassing" - "Better Than I Know Myself" - is out now in the U.S. and being released next month in Britain.
adam lambert, london, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos