Uganda probing drug death of Amazing Race producer
KAMPALA, Uganda - February 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in Uganda say they are poised to arrest a South African woman who survived after ingesting the contaminated cocaine that killed a U.S. freelance television producer for the show "Amazing Race."
Police spokesman Asuman Mugyenyi said Monday that Kathryn Fuller, who is still in the hospital, is being treated as a witness and suspect.
Producer Jeff Rice was found dead Feb. 18 on the balcony of the hotel room he shared with Fuller. Fuller was found unconscious on the floor near Rice. A forensic investigation found that Rice died of a drug overdose.
The case has alerted officials here to the possibility that Uganda is becoming a "consumption destination," a location where adventurers and addicts can consume illicit drugs with little risk of police detection.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
- Sunny today, more clouds tomorrow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man rescued from Schuylkill River 13 min ago
- Surveillance expected from Target heist
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Camden teen reported missing
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Teen stowaway survives flight in landing gear 3 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!