Crystal's Sammy Davis impression draws criticism
February 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Some are questioning Billy Crystal's impression of Sammy Davis Jr. in his opening number as Oscar host.
As part of Crystal's opening montage, he parodied Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris," going back in time to the 1920s. Then Crystal, performing as Davis in blackface, popped up and suggested they go kill Hitler.
Crystal played Davis the same way many times on "Saturday Night Live" in the 1980s, but that didn't stop hundreds from questioning the bit on Twitter.
When Octavia Spencer won supporting actress for "The Help," comedian Paul Scheer tweeted her win "shows just how far we've come since Billy Crystal performed in Blackface."
oscars, billy crystal, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator 42 min ago
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle 7 min ago
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 7 min ago
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 7 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight...
42 min ago
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
7 min ago