Pat Robertson: pot should be legal like alcohol
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) -March 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson says marijuana should be legalized and regulated like alcohol because the government's war on drugs has failed.
The outspoken evangelical Christian says he has never smoked marijuana, and he is not encouraging it. But he says the war on drugs is costing taxpayers billions of dollars and people should not be sent to prison for marijuana possession.
Robertson's support for legalizing pot appeared in a New York Times (http://nyti.ms/zMys8R) story published Thursday. His spokesman confirmed to AP that Robertson supports legalization with regulation. Robertson was not made available for an interview.
Robertson in 2010 called for ending mandatory prison sentences for marijuana possession convictions.
Robertson hosts "The 700 Club" on the Christian Broadcasting Network.
marijuana, drugs, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy 10 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW Philadelphia 17 min ago
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
10 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos