Dick Van Dyke marries makeup artist at age 86
LOS ANGELES - March 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Dick Van Dyke's publicist says the 86-year-old actor is a very happy newlywed.
Van Dyke and makeup artist Arlene Silver, 40, were married last week in a small Leap Day ceremony at a Malibu chapel near the actor's home, publicist Bob Palmer said.
"I've never seen him happier. She adds a lot to his life," he said, adding that the couple has much in common, including a love of singing.
Members of Silver's family and some of Van Dyke's close friends were on hand for the intimate wedding. Van Dyke suggested the couple may hold a bigger ceremony in the future, Palmer said.
Silver and the stage, film and TV star became friends about five years ago after meeting at the Screen Actors Guild Awards, Palmer said Friday.
Michelle Triola Marvin, Van Dyke's partner of 30 years, died in October 2009 at age 76.
Van Dyke gained fame in the musical "Bye Bye Birdie," for which he won a Tony Award in 1961, and starred in the 1963 film based on the play. His other movie credits include "Mary Poppins" and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang."
The 1961-66 "The Dick Van Dyke Show" made him a TV star, and he's proved an enduring one: His other series include "Diagnosis Murder" (1993-2002) and made-for-TV movies such as 2008's "Murder 101: New Age."
Van Dyke, who had a longtime marriage that ended in divorce, has four children.
california, los angeles, weddings, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot
- Overnight Snow Showers South
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- Woman found murdered in Bethlehem
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor
- Harvard student charged in campus bomb hoax
- Kevin Hart on stolen computers: I'll be back
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- NASA orders urgent spacewalk repairs at station