First lady talks to Letterman about Target visit
NEW YORK (AP) - March 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- First lady Michelle Obama says she thought for sure her cover was blown during an undercover visit to Target last year when a woman approached her in the detergent aisle.
But the first lady told David Letterman on Monday the woman only wanted help with a package she couldn't reach.
During Obama's visit to CBS' "Late Show," Letterman held up a picture of her after she put on sunglasses and a baseball cap to try to visit a Washington-area store last September.
Obama said the woman apparently was oblivious of the fact she had asked a favor of the first lady and said "you didn't have to make it look so easy" after the detergent was retrieved.
"That was my interaction," Obama said. "It felt so good."
The first lady talked about how she learned from her parents the notion of unconditional love, that the most important thing for children to know is that their parents adore them. She said she and the president try to instill that stability in their own two daughters, and almost became emotional talking about her father.
"Don't make me cry," she said. "This isn't 'Oprah.' It's supposed to be 'Letterman.'"
The "Late Show with David Letterman" airs weeknights at 11:35 Eastern time.
michelle obama, david letterman, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- Windy And Cool
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 3 children rescued in SW Phila. house fire
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- Fire forces evacuation of N. Phila. high-rise apt.
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris 41 min ago
- NJ man claims share of $198M Mega Millions jackpot
- Cold start to 1st summer after Sandy at Jersey Shore 25 min ago
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- Quick, long-term fixes in works for Washington bridge 36 min ago
- Actor Tyler Perry donates $100K to Ohio schools
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos