NYC office: Ex-Miss Russia hoarding pills in rehab
NEW YORK (AP) -March 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- Prosecutors say a former Miss Russia has been hoarding pills to try to get high while in court-ordered drug treatment.
A New York City judge said Tuesday that Anna Malova can stay in a residential rehabilitation program for now. But she may have to go to trial if she gets another bad behavior report at a May 1 court date.
Defense lawyer Robert Gottlieb says Malova is "struggling with her drug illness" but understands her situation.
The city Special Narcotics Prosecutor's office has charged Malova with forging prescriptions to get painkillers. Under the current plan, she can get the case dismissed if she successfully completes 18 months in treatment.
Trained as a doctor, Malova was Miss Russia and finished in the top 10 in the Miss Universe pageant in 1998.
new york, russia, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Winter Warm Up 50 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 21 min ago
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home 44 min ago
- Purse snatcher caught on camera in Montco 32 min ago
- Couple files suit over Lower Twp. blast
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia
- Derailed train car blocks road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor 11 min ago
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del. 45 min ago
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- Winter Warm Up
50 min ago
- Schools, daycares introduce yoga for kids
59 min ago