NYC office: Ex-Miss Russia hoarding pills in rehab
NEW YORK (AP) -March 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- Prosecutors say a former Miss Russia has been hoarding pills to try to get high while in court-ordered drug treatment.
A New York City judge said Tuesday that Anna Malova can stay in a residential rehabilitation program for now. But she may have to go to trial if she gets another bad behavior report at a May 1 court date.
Defense lawyer Robert Gottlieb says Malova is "struggling with her drug illness" but understands her situation.
The city Special Narcotics Prosecutor's office has charged Malova with forging prescriptions to get painkillers. Under the current plan, she can get the case dismissed if she successfully completes 18 months in treatment.
Trained as a doctor, Malova was Miss Russia and finished in the top 10 in the Miss Universe pageant in 1998.
new york, russia, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Saints will trade Sproles to Eagles; Birds sign Carroll 4 min ago
- Windy and cold today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- High winds cause damage across the region
- Photos: Pictures from Thursday's wind damage
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
- Residents forced to vacate East Oak Lane condo
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls
- Rescue crews pull woman from Schuylkill River
- Health officials: Drexel student died from meningitis