Prince William returns to UK after Falklands tour
LONDON (AP) -March 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- St. James' Palace says Britain's Prince William has returned to Britain after his deployment to the Falkland Islands.
William has been stationed on the Falklands since February. Flight Lt. Wales, as he's known in the Royal Air Force, was one of several pilots on call for search and rescue missions in the sprawling archipelago of 704 islands.
Local islanders say William briefly visited the local hospital, and made a trip to remote Sea Lion island, a paradise for penguins, sea lions, elephant seals.
William's visit angered Argentina, which claims the islands 290 miles (460 kilometers) off its coast and refers to them as Las Malvinas. His deployment added to growing tension in the run-up to the 30th anniversary of Argentina's April 1982 invasion.
prince william, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 36 min ago
- Sunny and chilly 33 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 35 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd. 59 min ago
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino 37 min ago
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Sunny and chilly
33 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
35 min ago