Store covers up pregnant Simpson on magazine cover
TUCSON, Ariz. - March 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- A pregnant Jessica Simpson on the cover of Elle magazine was apparently too much for some customers of a Tucson Safeway who prompted management to cover it with cardboard.
The April edition features the photo of the singer/actress/fashion designer with one hand over her breast and another wrapped around her nude belly.
The Arizona Daily Star reported the manager of the store received multiple complaints, prompting a worker to cover the image with cardboard.
"The sign was up for a short time and removed," Teena Massingill, director of corporate public affairs for Safeway Inc., told The Associated Press. "This was one store employee's response to some customer complaints. This was by no means a company-wide directive."
Elle Magazine released a statement Friday to the AP.
"We've received an overwhelmingly positive response to Jessica Simpson's cover," it said. "She's celebrating her body during this joyous time in her life and we couldn't be happier for her."
Information from: Arizona Daily Star, http://www.azstarnet.com
jessica simpson, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ