Jimmy Kimmel to host 64th Primetime Emmy Awards
LOS ANGELES (AP) - March 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Late-night host Jimmy Kimmel just got a prime-time gig: host of the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards.
The star and executive producer of "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" will host the Emmy Awards ceremony on Sept. 23 at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles.
"I hope to be able to do for the Emmys this year what Eddie Murphy did for the Oscars," Kimmel joked, referring to the comic actor who pulled out as host of this year's Academy Awards. This is Kimmel's first time hosting the Emmys.
Kimmel's namesake show is in its 10th season on ABC. He previously hosted the American Music Awards and the ESPY Awards and is set to host the White House Correspondents' dinner next month.
ABC also announced that director and producer Don Mischer will executive produce the Emmy telecast. Mischer recently directed and produced the Academy Awards. This is his 12th time at the helm of the Emmys.
He said he's "thrilled" to produce the Emmys again.
"We love television and look forward to working with the television academy and ABC in creating a show that is fast-paced, humorous, unpredictable, and at times irreverent, but clearly celebratory of our incredible industry," Mischer said in a statement Monday.
The Emmy Awards, put on by the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, honor the best in TV.
jimmy kimmel, emmy awards, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Snow today, heavy at times 17 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Video: Annie McCormick in Mobile 6 on I-76
- Video: David Henry on snow at Rittenhouse Sq.
- Video: John Rawlins on snow in E. Norriton
- Video: Nora Muchanic on snow in Trenton
- Video: Katherine Scott on snow in Delaware
- 2 corrections officers hurt in Concord Twp. crash 31 min ago
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- Snow today, heavy at times
17 min ago