Circus evolves amid market, regulatory challenges
VIENNA, Va. (AP) -April 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- The circus has been around for centuries and epitomizes traditional family entertainment.
At Vienna, Va.-based Feld Entertainment, the challenge has been to balance tradition and innovation. Feld owns the Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus - billed The Greatest Show on Earth.
Over the years, the Feld family has made changes that have alienated some traditionalists, such as eliminating the three-ring format. But sisters Nicole and Alana Feld, who produce the circus, say they try to walk a tightrope between innovating and maintaining traditions.
Feld has also diversified beyond its longstanding circus and Disney on Ice shows. The company has been expanding into motorsports since 2008 and also puts on monster truck and motocross shows.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5 4 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today 31 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Local help on the way for tornado victims
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del. 10 min ago
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township 37 min ago
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Street-level interactive weather map
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
4 min ago