Circus evolves amid market, regulatory challenges
VIENNA, Va. (AP) -April 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- The circus has been around for centuries and epitomizes traditional family entertainment.
At Vienna, Va.-based Feld Entertainment, the challenge has been to balance tradition and innovation. Feld owns the Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus - billed The Greatest Show on Earth.
Over the years, the Feld family has made changes that have alienated some traditionalists, such as eliminating the three-ring format. But sisters Nicole and Alana Feld, who produce the circus, say they try to walk a tightrope between innovating and maintaining traditions.
Feld has also diversified beyond its longstanding circus and Disney on Ice shows. The company has been expanding into motorsports since 2008 and also puts on monster truck and motocross shows.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 59 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
59 min ago