Jessica Alba, others, mark National Poetry Month
LOS ANGELES (AP) - April 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- Jessica Alba is adding her voice to National Poetry Month, helping to lure children into the art form.
Alba is among more than a dozen celebrity parents whose poetry readings are airing on the Disney and Disney Junior channels this month.
Readings by Viola Davis, Caroline Kennedy, Liev Schreiber and Katie Holmes also are featured in "A Poem Is ....", a short-form series that sets verse to classic Disney animation.
Langston Hughes, Mary Ann Hoberman and May Swenson are among the writers whose work is included.
Alba, who has two daughters, chose a Mexican folk song, "De Colores" ("Of Colors"), which reflects her Hispanic heritage. Her segment will air at 11:55 a.m. EDT Monday and at 6:55 a.m. EDT April 29, on the Disney Channel, and will play at various times on Disney Junior.
Joining poetry and imagery is "just a really great way to introduce kids to poetry," including those too young to read, Alba said.
It's also reflects the "genius of 'edu-tainment,' a new word I've been introduced to since I've become a mother," Alba said. Her definition: "tricking your kids into learning."
The actress ("Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer," ''Dark Angel") says her own poetry dabblings have taken a sharp turn.
"I have a lot of teen angst on paper," Alba said. "Now I just kind of make up songs for my girls. I have little poems that I sing to them before they go to sleep, to the tune of 'Twinkle Twinkle (Little Star).'"
jessica alba, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 29 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester 10 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ