Director Gary Ross says no to 'Catching Fire'
LOS ANGELES (AP) - April 11, 2012 (WPVI) -- Gary Ross says he won't direct "Catching Fire," the second installment in Lionsgate's blockbuster "The Hunger Games" franchise.
In a statement Tuesday, Ross says "after difficult but sincere consideration," he decided not to direct the film. He blames limited time to write and prep the film because of the fixed, tight production schedule.
Ross says making "The Hunger Games" was the happiest experience of his professional life. He also denies reports that negotiations with Lionsgate had been problematic.
Lionsgate officials say in response that they're "very sorry" Ross has chosen not to direct "Catching Fire" but they look forward to working with him on future projects.
"Catching Fire" is the second installment in the franchise based on Suzanne Collins' book series. It's scheduled for release in November 2013.
Lionsgate is a division of Lions Gate Entertainment Corp.
hunger games, movies, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep 14 min ago
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police seek missing woman and her baby
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Penn Medical School sued over researcher's death 24 min ago
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- DA: Woman gambled away stepson's inheritance 13 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Central Pa. man arrested for 2 DUIs in 2 hours 42 min ago
- Video: Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's