Ryan O'Neal says he has Stage 2 prostate cancer
LOS ANGELES (AP) -April 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- Ryan O'Neal says the prognosis is positive for his recovery from recently diagnosed Stage 2 prostate cancer.
The 70-year-old actor said in a statement released through his publicist on Monday that he was "shocked and stunned by the news" but feels fortunate the disease was caught early. He says he's expected to make a full recovery.
A memoir about his romance with actress Farrah Fawcett, "Both of Us: My Life With Farrah," will be published on May 1. Fawcett died in 2009 after a public battle with cancer.
O'Neal says he's grateful for the support of his friends and family and advocates regular exams since early detection is the best defense.
Higher stage numbers mean more extensive disease, with Stage 4 being the highest, according to the National Cancer Institute.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 5 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane 7 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold...
5 min ago