Ryan O'Neal says he has Stage 2 prostate cancer
LOS ANGELES (AP) -April 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- Ryan O'Neal says the prognosis is positive for his recovery from recently diagnosed Stage 2 prostate cancer.
The 70-year-old actor said in a statement released through his publicist on Monday that he was "shocked and stunned by the news" but feels fortunate the disease was caught early. He says he's expected to make a full recovery.
A memoir about his romance with actress Farrah Fawcett, "Both of Us: My Life With Farrah," will be published on May 1. Fawcett died in 2009 after a public battle with cancer.
O'Neal says he's grateful for the support of his friends and family and advocates regular exams since early detection is the best defense.
Higher stage numbers mean more extensive disease, with Stage 4 being the highest, according to the National Cancer Institute.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Armored car robbed outside bank in Tacony
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mom to surrender after daughter, 11, shot and killed 13 min ago
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown 58 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply 16 min ago
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer