Russell Brand urges love, compassion for addicts
LONDON (AP) -April 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- Comedian Russell Brand says "love and compassion" are the key to weaning addicts off drugs.
Brand testified to a parliamentary committee on Tuesday about his own experience of addiction, and said society should not "discard people, write them off on methadone and leave them on the sidelines."
During a 30-minute appearance, Brand said he believed drugs should be legalized.
He said: "I'm not a legal expert. I'm saying that, to a drug addict, the legal aspect is irrelevant. If you need to get drugs, you will. The criminal and legal status, I think, sends the wrong message. Being arrested isn't a lesson, it's just an administrative blip."
Brand wore a black hat, gold chains and crosses and a torn black vest top to the hearing.
russell brand, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW Philly 20 min ago
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington 22 min ago
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Police shoot at suspected carjacker in SW...
20 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos