Judge dismisses lawsuit over Grammy cuts
NEW YORK - April 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- A lawsuit filed against the Recording Academy over its decision to trim the Grammy Award categories from 109 to 78 has been dismissed by a judge in New York.
The motion last week by New York State Supreme Court Justice Jeffrey Oing granted the Academy's motion to reject a lawsuit brought by Grammy-nominated jazz musician Bobby Sanabria and three others. Sanabria had been the loudest opponent of the Academy's decision last year to reduce its categories and fold some genres into larger fields.
Academy President and CEO Neil Portnow says he's gratified by the court's decision.
Sanabria says he's disappointed and he held out the possibility of an appeal.
grammy awards, lawsuit, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Carjack suspect in custody in SW Phila.
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington 15 min ago
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Beyonce releases new album on iTunes