Duran Duran to headline outdoor Olympic concert
LONDON (AP) -May 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- There will be a retro feel at a concert to mark the start of the 2012 London Olympics, with 1980s heartthrobs Duran Duran among the headliners.
Organizers said Tuesday that the band, which had hits three decades ago with songs including "Rio" and "The Reflex," will represent England at the July 27 concert in London's Hyde Park, which features acts from each of the four parts of the United Kingdom.
Lead singer Simon Le Bon said the show would be "one of the highlights of the last decade for us."
The other headliners are Snow Patrol from Northern Ireland, Stereophonics from Wales and Scotland's Paolo Nutini.
The games' opening ceremony, taking place across town at the Olympic Stadium, will be broadcast on giant screens at the gig.
Tickets go on sale Friday.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Spotty, Drenching Downpours
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Ramsey speaks on police involved deadly shootings
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty 16 min ago
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
- Baby, man injured in SEPTA bus accident
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- Bus co. mistake disrupts kids' DC field trip
- Student and teacher shocked at Voorhees school
- New details released in NJ liquor swapping
- SEPTA announces fare hikes
- Down At The Shore