Beyonce wins journalism honor for magazine story
NEW YORK (AP) -May 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Beyonce is accustomed to getting awards for writing songs, but now she's earned one for writing a magazine piece.
The New York chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists will award Beyonce the first-place prize in arts and entertainment in its magazine category for a story she wrote for Essence magazine.
The first-person piece was titled "Eat, Play, Love" and appeared in the magazine's July 2011 issue. In it, the Grammy winner talks about how taking a break from music changed her life.
Beyonce and her husband Jay-Z had their first child, daughter Blue Ivy, in January. She released her fourth solo album, "4," last year.
The singer will receive the journalism honor at the association's Scholarship and Awards Banquet on May 15 in New York.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- Video: Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos