Beyonce wins journalism honor for magazine story
NEW YORK (AP) -May 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Beyonce is accustomed to getting awards for writing songs, but now she's earned one for writing a magazine piece.
The New York chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists will award Beyonce the first-place prize in arts and entertainment in its magazine category for a story she wrote for Essence magazine.
The first-person piece was titled "Eat, Play, Love" and appeared in the magazine's July 2011 issue. In it, the Grammy winner talks about how taking a break from music changed her life.
Beyonce and her husband Jay-Z had their first child, daughter Blue Ivy, in January. She released her fourth solo album, "4," last year.
The singer will receive the journalism honor at the association's Scholarship and Awards Banquet on May 15 in New York.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Temps Soar 29 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery 15 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland 37 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Temps Soar
29 min ago