Beyonce wins journalism honor for magazine story
NEW YORK (AP) -May 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Beyonce is accustomed to getting awards for writing songs, but now she's earned one for writing a magazine piece.
The New York chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists will award Beyonce the first-place prize in arts and entertainment in its magazine category for a story she wrote for Essence magazine.
The first-person piece was titled "Eat, Play, Love" and appeared in the magazine's July 2011 issue. In it, the Grammy winner talks about how taking a break from music changed her life.
Beyonce and her husband Jay-Z had their first child, daughter Blue Ivy, in January. She released her fourth solo album, "4," last year.
The singer will receive the journalism honor at the association's Scholarship and Awards Banquet on May 15 in New York.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated water
- Pit bull found shot in NJ continues to recover
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police