Actor Gary Sinise supporting veterans in Ill.
LISLE, Ill. - May 04, 2012 (WPVI) -- Hollywood actor Gary Sinise is helping promote a summer concert in suburban Chicago that will benefit veterans.
The "Forrest Gump" star helped kickoff ticket sales for "Rockin' for the Troops" on Thursday at the Navistar headquarters in Lisle.
The concert is planned for July 21 in nearby Weaton. Sinise is slated to perform with his Lt. Dan Band, which is named for his character in the Oscar-winning movie.
The Daily Herald reports (http://bit.ly/IN38n4 ) that proceeds will benefit Operation Support Our Troops America. The Naperville-based charity has raised $2 million for projects benefiting veterans, including research on post-traumatic stress disorder and traumatic brain injury.
Sinise says "we all enjoy what the military provides for us."
Officials from Navistar and other companies also announced efforts to hire returning veterans.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- March Madness: Villanova, St. Joe's, UDel all in
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids