'Modern Family' star Hyland has kidney transplant
NEW YORK (AP) - May 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- "Modern Family" star Sarah Hyland has had a kidney transplant after a lifetime of pain and fatigue.
The 21-year-old actress, who plays big-eyed teenager Haley Dunphy on the hit ABC comedy, told ABC's "Good Morning America" for a report aired Monday that she had the surgery in April,
At age 9, she was diagnosed with abnormal kidney development. The condition often left her exhausted or in pain. But as her health grew worse, she began seeking an organ donor. Her father, actor Edward James Hyland, was a match.
She says she tells her dad, "It's weird - I've got your kidney in me."
Hyland plans to spend the show's summer hiatus recovering from her surgery.
Her secret struggle is also reported in the current issue of Seventeen magazine.
modern family, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police probe pizza deliveryman shooting in SW Phila.
- Sunny, blustery winds today 43 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co. 31 min ago
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co. 3 min ago
- Police search for gunman in Germantown bar shooting 14 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- WCU investigates indecent assault, carjacking attempt
- MLK football documentary premieres in NYC
- Philadelphia Eagles 2014 game schedule
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Sunny, blustery winds today
43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos