'Modern Family' star Hyland has kidney transplant
NEW YORK (AP) - May 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- "Modern Family" star Sarah Hyland has had a kidney transplant after a lifetime of pain and fatigue.
The 21-year-old actress, who plays big-eyed teenager Haley Dunphy on the hit ABC comedy, told ABC's "Good Morning America" for a report aired Monday that she had the surgery in April,
At age 9, she was diagnosed with abnormal kidney development. The condition often left her exhausted or in pain. But as her health grew worse, she began seeking an organ donor. Her father, actor Edward James Hyland, was a match.
She says she tells her dad, "It's weird - I've got your kidney in me."
Hyland plans to spend the show's summer hiatus recovering from her surgery.
Her secret struggle is also reported in the current issue of Seventeen magazine.
modern family, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 59 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 13 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
13 min ago