'Modern Family' star Hyland has kidney transplant
NEW YORK (AP) - May 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- "Modern Family" star Sarah Hyland has had a kidney transplant after a lifetime of pain and fatigue.
The 21-year-old actress, who plays big-eyed teenager Haley Dunphy on the hit ABC comedy, told ABC's "Good Morning America" for a report aired Monday that she had the surgery in April,
At age 9, she was diagnosed with abnormal kidney development. The condition often left her exhausted or in pain. But as her health grew worse, she began seeking an organ donor. Her father, actor Edward James Hyland, was a match.
She says she tells her dad, "It's weird - I've got your kidney in me."
Hyland plans to spend the show's summer hiatus recovering from her surgery.
Her secret struggle is also reported in the current issue of Seventeen magazine.
modern family, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- 2 dead in Pennsauken doctor's office shooting ID'd 5 min ago
- Stormy to spectacular 50 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Chrysler recalls 2.7 million Jeeps 9 min ago
- Teacher charged again for indecent exposure
- Construction worker killed on way to job
- US: Unruly traveler had worked at State Department
- 2 sought in Rehoboth Beach credit card fraud 5 min ago
- Man accused of sexual relationship with teen niece
- $325,000 Cash 5 ticket sold in Philadelphia 7 min ago
- Phillies activate Carlos Ruiz from disabled list
- Stormy to spectacular
50 min ago
- 2 sought in Rehoboth Beach credit card fraud
5 min ago
- Chrysler recalls 2.7 million Jeeps
9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos