'Housewives' actress Kathryn Joosten dies at 72
LOS ANGELES (AP) - June 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- Kathryn Joosten, a character actress best known as the crotchety, nosey Karen McCluskey on "Desperate Housewives" and the president's secretary on "The West Wing," has died. She was 72.
Joosten, who had battled lung cancer for years, died Saturday in Los Angeles, her publicist Nadine Jolson said.
Joosten won two Emmy awards for her portrayal of Mrs. McCluskey, the cranky but loveable senior who kept a close eye on her Wisteria Lane neighbors on "Desperate Housewives." The hit show ended its run on ABC last month with a series finale in which Joosten's character passed away. Her character's battle with cancer was a story line in the show.
She also appeared on NBC's "The West Wing" as Mrs. Landingham, the president's trusted secretary. Over the years, she had roles in a number of other popular shows, including a recurring one on "Dharma & Greg" and guest spots on shows including "Ally McBeal" and "Scrubs."
Active in animal rights causes, she appeared with other celebrities at a 2008 news conference in Los Angeles to ask the city to abandon a project for a $40 million elephant enclosure at the Los Angeles Zoo.
desperate housewives, abc, los angeles, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Person of interest ID'd in hit-and-run
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Up to $50K stolen in Target armed robbery 4 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite 39 min ago
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Woman's body found in Berks County ID'd
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!