'Housewives' actress Kathryn Joosten dies at 72
LOS ANGELES (AP) - June 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- Kathryn Joosten, a character actress best known as the crotchety, nosey Karen McCluskey on "Desperate Housewives" and the president's secretary on "The West Wing," has died. She was 72.
Joosten, who had battled lung cancer for years, died Saturday in Los Angeles, her publicist Nadine Jolson said.
Joosten won two Emmy awards for her portrayal of Mrs. McCluskey, the cranky but loveable senior who kept a close eye on her Wisteria Lane neighbors on "Desperate Housewives." The hit show ended its run on ABC last month with a series finale in which Joosten's character passed away. Her character's battle with cancer was a story line in the show.
She also appeared on NBC's "The West Wing" as Mrs. Landingham, the president's trusted secretary. Over the years, she had roles in a number of other popular shows, including a recurring one on "Dharma & Greg" and guest spots on shows including "Ally McBeal" and "Scrubs."
Active in animal rights causes, she appeared with other celebrities at a 2008 news conference in Los Angeles to ask the city to abandon a project for a $40 million elephant enclosure at the Los Angeles Zoo.
desperate housewives, abc, los angeles, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars 53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 14 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases 35 min ago
- Video: Would-be firebomber sets self on fire