Singer Lauryn Hill faces federal tax charges
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - June 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- Eight-time Grammy winner Lauryn Hill has been charged with failing to file income tax returns for several years with the Internal Revenue Service, the U.S. attorney's office in New Jersey announced Thursday.
Hill earned more than $1.6 million during 2005, 2006 and 2007, the three years that she failed to file returns, federal prosecutors said. Hill's primary source of income is royalties from the recording and film industries, prosecutors said. She also owns and operates four corporations: Creations Music Inc., Boogie Tours Inc., L.H. Productions 2001 Inc. and Studio 22 Inc., according to court papers.
Messages left Thursday for her California-based attorney, Nathan J. Hochman, and an email sent to her publicist weren't immediately returned.
The 37-year-old Hill got her start with The Fugees and began her solo career in 1998 with the critically acclaimed album "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill."
The album, praised by critics for its incisive lyrics and synthesis of rap and soul, sold 8 million copies. Hill was pronounced the face of "The Hip-Hop Nation" by Time magazine.
She then largely disappeared from public view to raise her six children, five of whom she had with Rohan Marley, the son of famed reggae singer Bob Marley.
Hill lives in South Orange, a suburb just west of Newark, and attended Columbia High School in Maplewood.
She is scheduled to appear before a federal magistrate on June 29. She could face a maximum penalty of a year in prison and $100,000 fine on each charge.
taxes, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 1 min ago
- Milder Monday 34 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 1 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Milder Monday
34 min ago