Streep presents Davis with Women in Film award
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) -June 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- They may have been Oscar rivals earlier this year, but there's nothing but love between Meryl Streep and Viola Davis.
Streep, who ended Davis' awards run for "The Help" by winning the lead actress Oscar for "The Iron Lady," lauded her friend and colleague Tuesday at Women in Film's annual Crystal + Lucy Awards.
She called Davis "a lion-hearted woman;" a gifted and determined actress who studied at Juilliard, won Tony Awards and captivated Hollywood with her eight-minute performance in "Doubt."
"She was a newcomer at 45," Streep joked.
Davis returned the love as she accepted the award.
"I have a confession," she said, sharing how touched she was when Streep sent her a card after the film wrapped. Davis also kept a photo of the two of them together on set.
"OK Meryl, I framed the card," Davis said. "So you can never come over to the house."
Other honorees at the private ceremony at the Beverly Hilton Hotel were actresses Christina Applegate and Chloe Grace Moretz, NBCUniversal Cable chief Bonnie Hammer, cinematographer Anette Haellmigk and five female executives from Fox.
meryl streep, viola davis, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting 43 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 5 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges 56 min ago
- 4 alarm fire burns at motel in Berks County 5 min ago
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop 48 min ago
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Photo released of anti-Semetic vandalism suspect
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
43 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos