Documents: R. Kelly owes nearly $5M in taxes
CHICAGO (AP) - June 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- R&B star R. Kelly, who last year saw his suburban Chicago mansion fall into foreclosure, now has the Internal Revenue Service at his door.
The Chicago Sun-Times reports documents held by the Cook County Recorder of Deeds show the recording artist owes the IRS nearly $5 million in unpaid taxes.
Kelly owes the money for taxes dating back as far as 2005. He paid $2.6 million in back taxes in 2008 and another $1 million last year, but the records show he still owes the federal government more than $4.8 million.
A message seeking comment was left Thursday for Kelly spokesman Allan Mayer. The Sun-Times reports Mayer said last year that Kelly didn't have any serious financial troubles.
The Grammy-winning singer was acquitted on child pornography charges in 2008.
taxes, chicago, illinois, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected 49 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville 11 min ago
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera 29 min ago
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Video: Christmas tree comes to life in school prank 45 min ago
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
49 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
11 min ago
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught...
29 min ago