Documents: R. Kelly owes nearly $5M in taxes
CHICAGO (AP) - June 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- R&B star R. Kelly, who last year saw his suburban Chicago mansion fall into foreclosure, now has the Internal Revenue Service at his door.
The Chicago Sun-Times reports documents held by the Cook County Recorder of Deeds show the recording artist owes the IRS nearly $5 million in unpaid taxes.
Kelly owes the money for taxes dating back as far as 2005. He paid $2.6 million in back taxes in 2008 and another $1 million last year, but the records show he still owes the federal government more than $4.8 million.
A message seeking comment was left Thursday for Kelly spokesman Allan Mayer. The Sun-Times reports Mayer said last year that Kelly didn't have any serious financial troubles.
The Grammy-winning singer was acquitted on child pornography charges in 2008.
taxes, chicago, illinois, music, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Search for missing college student from Skippack
- Mostly cloudy, humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home invasion 19 min ago
- 51-year-old man shot and killed in Kensington
- Deptford Township house fire ruled as arson
- Tornadoes slam Plains, Midwest; 1 dead in Okla. 41 min ago
- 2 alarm apartment fire in Washington Township
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- 2 FBI agents killed in training accident in Virginia
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home...
19 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos