Writer Erica Kennedy found dead in home
MIAMI (AP) - June 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Writer Erica Kennedy has been found dead in her Miami Beach apartment. She was 42.
Police confirmed Monday that Kennedy, whose full name was Erica Kennedy Johnson, was found dead last week. No cause was immediately reported.
Sarah Robinson, known to family and friends as Aunt Porgy, released a statement over the weekend.
Robinson, who is Kennedy's aunt, said, "We are devastated by this loss. Erica was bright, funny, talented, thoughtful, and passionate."
According to a bio linked to Kennedy's Twitter account, the former fashion publicist began her writing career as a special correspondent for the New York Daily News. She went on to write about fashion and entertainment for magazines such as Vibe, In Style, Paper and Elle UK.
She published the hip-hop satire "Bling" in 2004 with a book cover of her own design. It became a New York Times best seller and was optioned for film by The Weinstein Company. Kennedy's follow-up novel, "Feminista," was released in 2009.
The graduate of Sarah Lawrence College and Oxford University, Kennedy worked most recently as a creative consultant for fashion and lifestyle brands and was known for her lively tweets.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight 11 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ