Romeo sees his father, Master P, in Tyler Perry
NEW YORK (AP) - June 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- Rapper-turned-actor Romeo felt right at home working with Tyler Perry because he says the director reminds him of his father, rapper Master P.
Romeo says his hip-hop artist dad and the successful writer/director have a similar work ethic and outlook on life.
"When I was working with him, I was like 'did I already know you?'" said the 22-year-old in a recent interview.
Perry directs and stars alongside Romeo in his latest comedy, "Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection," in theaters Friday.
The Atlanta-based producer was surprised to find a kindred spirit in Master P, a fellow New Orleans native whose hits include 1997's "Make 'Em Say Uhh!"
"He grew up in the projects, not too far from where I lived and we're about the same age," said Perry. "And just having a conversation with him and him being a rapper, you'd think he's someone else. But he's just a great father who's raised great kids."
Romeo has certainly followed in Master P's footsteps, entering the music scene when he was 5 years old and taking over his father's record label, No Limit Forever, in 2010.
"I was able to watch that my whole life and learn from his mistakes," he said. "But at the same time it is a lot of pressure because people want you to live up to those expectations."
Though his recent projects have been comedies like "Jumping the Broom" and "Madea," Romeo is trying to make the leap to full-fledged action hero.
He says he's hoping to become "the next Will Smith" and nab roles in the upcoming "The Hunger Games" sequel and fourth "Transformers" installment.
"I've been going back and forth with Lionsgate (about) 'The Hunger Games,'" he said. "I just want to do a little bit of everything, from romantic comedies to dramas and then to the big action movies."
romeo, movies, new york, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape charges 43 min ago
- Shower In Spots
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Child falls from 2-story window in Point Breeze
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Boy, 6, kicked by pony on Lancaster Co. farm dies
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized
- Former Philadelphia hero cop faces rape...
43 min ago