Court won't hear 'wardrobe malfunction' appeal
WASHINGTON (AP) -June 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Supreme Court decided Friday not to consider reinstating the government's $550,000 fine on CBS for Janet Jackson's infamous breast-bearing "wardrobe malfunction" at the 2004 Super Bowl.
The high court refused to hear an appeal from the Federal Communications Commission over the penalty.
The 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals twice had thrown out the fine. The second time came after the Supreme Court upheld the FCC's policy threatening fines against even one-time uses of curse words on live television.
The appeals court said FCC's policy of excusing fleeting instances of indecent words and images appeared to change without notice in March 2004, a month after Jackson's halftime act. The judges said that made the agency's action against CBS "arbitrary and capricious."
But now, the FCC clearly has abandoned its exception for fleeting expletives, Chief Justice John Roberts said.
"It is now clear that the brevity of an indecent broadcast - be it word or image - cannot immunize it from FCC censure," he said. "Any future 'wardrobe malfunctions' will not be protected on the ground relied on by the court below."
janet jackson, super bowl, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Cloudy And Cooler 22 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- 2 injured in head-on crash along MLK Drive
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks 35 min ago
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Pa. woman served family poison laced burritos
- Wife hid murdered husband, prosecutors say
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized 27 min ago
- Driver, passenger hurt in Cheltenham Township crash
- Woman critically injured in Radnor Township house fire
- Dozens of home remedies right in your kitchen
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim...
35 min ago
- Cloudy And Cooler
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos