Lauryn Hill pleads guilty in NJ to tax charges
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -June 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Eight-time Grammy-winning singer Lauryn Hill has pleaded guilty in New Jersey to not paying her taxes.
Hill was charged this month with three counts of failing to file tax returns on more than $1.5 million earned from 2005 to 2007.
Hill appeared in U.S. District Court in Newark on Friday and admitted not filing taxes for all three years. She faces a maximum one-year sentence on each count.
The 37-year-old South Orange resident got her start with The Fugees and began her solo career in 1998 with the critically acclaimed album "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill."
She then largely disappeared from public view to raise her six children, five of whom she had with Rohan Marley, the son of famed reggae singer Bob Marley.
taxes, new jersey, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila. 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker 22 min ago
- Couple accused of letting 2-year-old smoke pot
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- Neighbors help residents escape Trenton fire
- 2 NJ men sentenced for bogus 9/11 charity
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
35 min ago