Lauryn Hill pleads guilty in NJ to tax charges
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -June 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Eight-time Grammy-winning singer Lauryn Hill has pleaded guilty in New Jersey to not paying her taxes.
Hill was charged this month with three counts of failing to file tax returns on more than $1.5 million earned from 2005 to 2007.
Hill appeared in U.S. District Court in Newark on Friday and admitted not filing taxes for all three years. She faces a maximum one-year sentence on each count.
The 37-year-old South Orange resident got her start with The Fugees and began her solo career in 1998 with the critically acclaimed album "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill."
She then largely disappeared from public view to raise her six children, five of whom she had with Rohan Marley, the son of famed reggae singer Bob Marley.
taxes, new jersey, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos