Sarajevo Film Festival kicks off in Bosnia
SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina (AP) - July 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- The 18th Sarajevo Film Festival is set to kick off with Aida Begic's regional premiere of "Children of Sarajevo," which recently won the top prize in the Cannes Film Festival's sidebar competition Un Certain Regard.
Over the next nine days some 100,000 moviegoers are expected to see some of the festival's 210 films from 57 countries.
The festival - which opens Friday - started in 1995 in besieged Sarajevo, as its founders tried to offer those braving mortar shells to gather in a downtown basement some sense of normal life. It has since grown into one of the biggest annual moviemaker gatherings in southeast Europe.
Although it is meant to be a regional event, in recent years Morgan Freeman, Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, and Kevin Spacey have attended the event..
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death 17 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today 1 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released 21 min ago
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 32 min ago
- 1 dead, 2 injured in 'barbaric' London attack
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- D.A.: Girlfriend's murder in Chesco 'an execution'
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
21 min ago
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off...
32 min ago