Visions of Arcadia at the Phila. Museum of Art
PHILADELPHIA - July 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- It's the Philadelphia Art Museum's blockbuster exhibit of the summer called "Visions of Arcadia" which features some of Europe's most influential painters of the early 20th century.
The exhibit includes paintings, drawings, sculptures and poetry from a number of artists but hinges on the works of Paul Gauguin, Paul Cézanne and Henri Matisse.
"Three of the most progressive, radical, out there, in your face artists - breaking all the rules. Why is it that when the chips are down, they go back to the oldest subjects, particularly in France, which are people tanning around with their clothes off under trees," said Joseph Rishel, the curator of the Philadelphia Art Museum.
The artists painted their visions of Arcadia - both an actual valley in southern Greece and an ideal mythological world. The common theme is the quest for nirvana which has inspired artists for centuries.
"It was supposed to be older than the moon, inhabited by these beautiful, happy people living this very happy life. It's all about searching. They're asking the big question where do we come from, what are we doing here?" said Rishel.
Museum curators spent decades pulling together works for the exhibit - many of which are on loan from other institutions.
"Very ambitious exhibition, I say worth the trip to Philadelphia from wherever you may be in the world," said Rishel.
"Visions of Arcadia" runs through Sept 3. For hours and ticket information visit, Philadelphia Museum of Art.
love the arts, philadelphia, entertainment, karen rogers
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Photos: 24 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 52 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 38 min ago
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway 28 min ago
- Wildfire risk prompts Red Flag Warning for NJ 13 min ago
- Road reopens months after Frankford water main break 43 min ago
- Man shot multiple times in West Philadelphia 28 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
38 min ago
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos