Beanie Sigel gets 2 years for Philly tax charges
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - July 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- Rapper Beanie Sigel has been sentenced in Philadelphia to two years in prison for failing to file federal income tax returns.
The 38-year-old's real name is Dwight Grant, and he's from the Philadelphia suburb of Lansdale. He was sentenced in federal court Thursday and ordered to report to prison Sept. 12. He pleaded guilty in August.
Prosecutors say Sigel owes more than $700,000 for the tax years 1999 through 2005.
A U.S. District Court judge ordered him to pay all taxes, penalties and interest as determined by the Internal Revenue Service. The rapper told the judge he accepted "total responsibility" for not paying his taxes.
Sigel also has served time on drug and weapons charges and for prescription drug use while on federal probation. His albums include "The Truth," ''The B. Coming" and "The Solution."
philadelphia, taxes, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos