Beanie Sigel gets 2 years for Philly tax charges
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - July 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- Rapper Beanie Sigel has been sentenced in Philadelphia to two years in prison for failing to file federal income tax returns.
The 38-year-old's real name is Dwight Grant, and he's from the Philadelphia suburb of Lansdale. He was sentenced in federal court Thursday and ordered to report to prison Sept. 12. He pleaded guilty in August.
Prosecutors say Sigel owes more than $700,000 for the tax years 1999 through 2005.
A U.S. District Court judge ordered him to pay all taxes, penalties and interest as determined by the Internal Revenue Service. The rapper told the judge he accepted "total responsibility" for not paying his taxes.
Sigel also has served time on drug and weapons charges and for prescription drug use while on federal probation. His albums include "The Truth," ''The B. Coming" and "The Solution."
philadelphia, taxes, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash 9 min ago
- Wintry Weekend 47 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- SEPTA bus strikes and kills man
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire
- Man freed from under train on Broad Street Line
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million
- Wintry Weekend
47 min ago