Madonna concert in Poland to open with WWII film
WARSAW, Poland (AP) -July 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Organizers of a Madonna concert in the Polish capital have agreed to a request from city officials to start the show with a brief clip about the Warsaw Uprising, the 1944 revolt against Nazi rule, in a nod to war veterans.
Some veterans and young Catholics have voiced anger that the Aug. 1 concert falls on the 68th anniversary of the uprising - a day marked with a somber tone.
The city-wide attack ended in the deaths of thousands of Poles and the destruction of the city.
City officials proposed airing a clip about the revolt to allay the veterans' feelings.
Ania Pietrzak, a spokeswoman for concert organizer Live Nation, said Wednesday "it is an important moment in Polish history, so we have decided to remind people of that moment."
madonna, poland, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Turning Milder 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings 55 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- On video: Armed robber fails after KFC workers flee 14 min ago
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp. 26 min ago
- Woman injured in incident on train tracks in Center City 22 min ago
- Police in standoff at home in Uwchlan Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Woman injured in incident on train tracks...
22 min ago
- Water pressure problems plague Trenton
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos