Thousands crowd funeral for Bollywood romance icon
MUMBAI, India (AP) -July 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Bollywood stars and film fans have paid their last respects to one of India's first superstars, Rajesh Khanna, as his body was cremated in a Hindu ceremony in Mumbai.
Khanna's grandson Aarav performed the last rites Thursday after the star's body was carried from his home in a glass coffin by a truck festooned with photographs.
Thousands lined the streets to view the funeral procession.
Khanna died Wednesday of undisclosed causes at age 69.
He was known as the "King of Romance" and played the lead in most of his 170 movies, earning fame that had directors booking him for his box-office draw.
Screaming fans would surround Khanna in public, and women wrote him letters in their blood. But his appeal waned as Bollywood shifted toward action films.
india, movies, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Delco girl still awaiting transplant 18-months later
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- Neighbor rescues woman in West Oak Lane fire
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled
- San Antonio flooding kills 2; hundreds rescued
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Start to 1st summer after Sandy at NJ shore
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos