Life sentence in Jennifer Hudson family slayings
CHICAGO (AP) -July 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- The man convicted of gunning down the mother, brother and nephew of Jennifer Hudson will spend the rest of his life in prison.
A Cook County judge on Tuesday gave William Balfour three life sentences. Balfour was convicted earlier this year of first-degree murder in the 2008 killings. The actress and singer was in the Chicago courtroom for the sentencing.
The sentencing came after Circuit Judge Charles Burns denied a request from Balfour for a new trial.
Balfour faced a mandatory life sentence. Illinois does not have the death penalty.
Balfour was married to Hudson's sister. Prosecutors contend he shot the family members in a jealous rage because she was dating another man.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51
- Splendid spring finale
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Boy, 6, hit by car in East Oak Lane
- Villanova lockdown over, all suspects in custody
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- Back yard bear prompts photos, videos
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones
- Desmond's slam leads Nats over Phillies