Life sentence in Jennifer Hudson family slayings
CHICAGO (AP) -July 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- The man convicted of gunning down the mother, brother and nephew of Jennifer Hudson will spend the rest of his life in prison.
A Cook County judge on Tuesday gave William Balfour three life sentences. Balfour was convicted earlier this year of first-degree murder in the 2008 killings. The actress and singer was in the Chicago courtroom for the sentencing.
The sentencing came after Circuit Judge Charles Burns denied a request from Balfour for a new trial.
Balfour faced a mandatory life sentence. Illinois does not have the death penalty.
Balfour was married to Hudson's sister. Prosecutors contend he shot the family members in a jealous rage because she was dating another man.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Search for missing college student from Skippack
- Mostly cloudy, humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home invasion 55 min ago
- 51-year-old man shot and killed in Kensington
- Deptford Township house fire ruled as arson 50 min ago
- Tornadoes slam Plains, Midwest; 1 dead in Okla. 20 min ago
- 2 alarm apartment fire in Washington Township
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- 2 FBI agents killed in training accident in Virginia
- Singer botches America's National Anthem
45 min ago
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home...
55 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos