Billie Joe Armstrong joins NBC's 'Voice' as mentor
LOS ANGELES (AP) - July 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- NBC's "The Voice" is adding a high-powered rocker to the mix.
NBC said Thursday that Green Day vocalist and guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong has joined the talent contest as a mentor to Christina Aguilera's team this coming season.
In a statement, Armstrong said he and his family are fans of the show.
"The Voice" has won over viewers because "it's not molding artists, it's just giving them a little bit of guidance and direction without giving them a complete makeover," he said.
Besides, Armstrong says, working with Aguilera is "a lot of fun." He started taping Wednesday on "The Voice," which has been in production for season three since June.
As the talent contest field grows more crowded, shows are competing for big-name music stars. "American Idol" is adding Mariah Carey as a judge, and "The X Factor" signed Britney Spears and Demi Lovato.
"The Voice" returns Sept. 10.
That's good timing for Green Day: The band has three albums coming out in quick succession, with the first, "Uno!", to be released Sept. 25.
In addition to Aguilera, the show's coaches include Cee-Lo Green, Adam Levine and Blake Shelton. Carson Daly is the host.
christina aguilera, green day, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 18 min ago
- Sunny and chilly 20 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Sunny and chilly
20 min ago