Billie Joe Armstrong joins NBC's 'Voice' as mentor
LOS ANGELES (AP) - July 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- NBC's "The Voice" is adding a high-powered rocker to the mix.
NBC said Thursday that Green Day vocalist and guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong has joined the talent contest as a mentor to Christina Aguilera's team this coming season.
In a statement, Armstrong said he and his family are fans of the show.
"The Voice" has won over viewers because "it's not molding artists, it's just giving them a little bit of guidance and direction without giving them a complete makeover," he said.
Besides, Armstrong says, working with Aguilera is "a lot of fun." He started taping Wednesday on "The Voice," which has been in production for season three since June.
As the talent contest field grows more crowded, shows are competing for big-name music stars. "American Idol" is adding Mariah Carey as a judge, and "The X Factor" signed Britney Spears and Demi Lovato.
"The Voice" returns Sept. 10.
That's good timing for Green Day: The band has three albums coming out in quick succession, with the first, "Uno!", to be released Sept. 25.
In addition to Aguilera, the show's coaches include Cee-Lo Green, Adam Levine and Blake Shelton. Carson Daly is the host.
christina aguilera, green day, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ