Madonna concert gets boos from Paris crowd
PARIS (AP) - July 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- A small Madonna concert that the pop star said was intended to celebrate France's tolerance instead tested it, drawing boos and cries of "refund!" when she left the stage after just 45 minutes.
The show Thursday, billed as an intimate event at Paris' noted Olympia club, was streamed live on YouTube. By Friday morning, the channel that showed the event disabled comments and had more than 12,000 dislikes compared with 10,000 likes.
An invitation to tweet about the show appeared to back fire - audience members used the suggested hashtag (hash)MDNAParis to complain. The rebroadcast of the show cuts off when Madonna leaves the stage, apparently before the crowd realized the concert was over.
Madonna's press agent, Liz Rosenberg, said in a statement that the star's occasional club shows in the past "were never more than 45 minutes."
The show was "planned as a heartfelt thank you to France which she expressed at the start of the show," the statement said, and the performance at Olympia, a venue for top French artists, "was her way to honor her love for French artists, French cinema and a tribute to France's long history of welcoming and inspiring artists, authors, painters, poets and minorities from other countries over the years."
The show cost Madonna nearly $1 million to produce, the statement said, and keeping the prices at $100 involved a "tremendous effort."
The show was announced after France's far-right National Front threatened to sue Madonna after the singer showed a video at a Bastille Day concert in Paris with an image of the party's leader, Marine Le Pen, with a swastika on her forehead.
"I've heard that a certain Marine Le Pen was upset with me," Madonna told the crowd, according to the newspaper Le Parisien. "It's not my intention to make enemies."
paris, madonna, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Search for missing college student from Skippack
- Mostly cloudy, humid today 52 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home invasion 18 min ago
- 51-year-old man shot and killed in Kensington
- Deptford Township house fire ruled as arson 13 min ago
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, hit other states
- 2 alarm apartment fire in Washington Township 56 min ago
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing 57 min ago
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County 31 min ago
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- 2 FBI agents killed in training accident in Virginia
- Mostly cloudy, humid today
52 min ago
- Singer botches America's National Anthem
8 min ago
- Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in home...
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos