Jackson to make 'The Hobbit' into a trilogy
BURBANK, Calif. (AP) - July 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- Peter Jackson is adding a third film to what was planned to be the two-part series "The Hobbit."
The director of the Oscar-winning "The Lord of the Rings" movies said Monday that after viewing a cut of the first film and part of the second that there was room for a third.
Jackson says in a statement that a lot of J.R.R. Tolkien's tale of Bilbo Baggins would remain untold if a third film wasn't made.
Warner Bros. and MGM will continue their partnership to make the trilogy.
The first film, "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," hits theaters Dec. 14, while the second, "The Hobbit: There and Back Again" is set for release on Dec. 13, 2013.
The third film will come out in the summer of 2014.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter 18 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Family of injured Harrah's racer sues casino
- Snow plow overturns on I-95 in Delaware 51 min ago
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Obama announces sanctions against Russians
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- Video: Swan attacks elderly woman in Berks Co.
- Photos: Pictures from Phila. St. Patrick's Parade
- This is now Philly's 2nd snowiest winter
18 min ago