McCartney paid 1 pound ($1.57) for Olympics gig
LONDON (AP) - July 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- Don't spend it all in one place, Paul.
London Olympic organizers say former Beatle Paul McCartney and other star performers who took part in Friday's opening ceremony essentially donated their time - receiving a mere pound ($1.57) - for their performances.
The nominal fee was offered to make the Olympics contracts binding - but pales in comparison to the millions big names like McCartney can command for a stadium gig.
Other performers such as Mike Oldfield, Dizzee Rascal and Emeli Sande are also thought to have received the nominal fee.
Director Danny Boyle's "Isles of Wonder" extravaganza featured British music that spanned generations, right up to live performances from two of the hottest homegrown acts of the moment: grime star Rascal and the band Arctic Monkeys.
london, paul mccartney, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd 16 min ago
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery 1 min ago
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver in fatal South Jersey accident ID'd
16 min ago
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
1 min ago