Jackson says she was kept from communicating
LOS ANGELES (AP) - August 2, 2012 (WPVI) -- The mother of Michael Jackson said in court papers she was kept from communicating with outsiders while at a resort in Tucson and was unaware she had been reported missing.
Katherine Jackson declared in the documents obtained Thursday that she had no idea she was the subject of a search until she accidentally heard a TV report.
She said she was told her doctor had ordered her to rest and she was flown to Arizona. At a spa, her cell phone was confiscated along with her IPad and she said she was kept in a room with no working phone or TV service.
She said she asked about Michael's children and was told they were fine.
The disclosure marked the latest development in a series of events that began when Katherine Jackson was reported missing but later turned up at the spa with family members.
The documents were released after a judge reinstated Katherine Jackson as the guardian of the children in an arrangement that also keeps their cousin as temporary co-guardian.
Superior Court Judge Mitchell Beckloff said during a hearing that an investigator who looked into the children's care found that the late pop star's 82-year-old mother was an excellent guardian and the children love her very much.
"I think the kids are in terrific hands," the judge said. "It appears from the report that Katherine Jackson has done a wonderful job and cares about the children very much."
Beckloff noted that the children, Prince, 15, Paris, 14 and Blanket, 10, also have a close relationship with their 34-year-old cousin TJ Jackson, who was named temporary guardian last week after working closely with Katherine Jackson since Michael Jackson died.
The new agreement would call for TJ Jackson to remain a co-guardian, with control over the staff and day-to-day operations of the home where Katherine Jackson and her grandchildren currently live.
The changes in guardianship come on the heels of family dissension over Michael Jackson's will, which left nothing to his siblings when he died three years ago. Several of them signed a letter which was leaked to the press alleging the will was a fake and calling on executors of the estate to resign.
The dispute at one point led to a driveway confrontation involving several family members at the Calabasas mansion where Katherine Jackson and the children have been living.
On Wednesday, Jermaine Jackson issued a plea for peace in the family and withdrew his support of the letter.
In a statement first released to The Associated Press, he said he regretted the public turmoil that resulted from his mother's recent trip and believes subsequent matters regarding his mother and the children should be handled privately.
"Mistakes have been made and irrational things have been said on both sides in a highly charged emotional environment," Jermaine Jackson wrote. "It is time for us all to draw a line in the sand and move toward peace, co-operation, love and healing."
Jermaine Jackson wrote that the family is still raw from Michael Jackson's death, and his mother has endured incredible stress and pressures since then. "After much soul-searching, it is clearly time for us to live by Michael's words about love not war," he wrote.
Another party to the Jackson family drama, singer Diana Ross, who was named by Michael Jackson in his will as a potential guardian of the children if Katherine Jackson was not available, issued her own statement saying the recent turmoil involving Jackson's children and the appointment of a temporary guardian is a private matter and shouldn't be playing out publicly.
Ross wrote in a statement to The Associated Press that "all interests are best served if it remains private."
Ross and Jackson were longtime friends before his death in 2009. She has been given notice of court proceedings, but the new agreement apparently will relieve her of any guardianship duties, specifying that Katherine and TJ Jackson could replace each other if one or the other became unavailable to serve.
Jermaine Jackson said in his statement that by the time of the driveway confrontation on July 23, "it was clear that mutual suspicions had allowed events to spiral out of control." He said that he, Randy and Janet Jackson went to the Calabasas home to try to talk to the children.
"I regret that events were ever allowed to reach such a stage," he wrote. "I regret any distress caused to Prince, Paris and Blanket. That was never, ever the intention of myself, Janet, Rebbie or Randy."
michael jackson, children, los angeles, california, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville
- AccuWeather: Damp and Cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- NJ community joins forces to help 'storage locker' mom 9 min ago
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County 34 min ago
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in
- Woman faces DUI charges after NE Phila. crash
- Water main break forces evacuation of Fishtown bar 8 min ago
- Bicyclist struck in Kensington DUI crash
- White House insists Obama was not involved in IRS
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list
- Water main break forces evacuation of...
8 min ago