Aretha, Ricky Skaggs join Gospel Hall of Fame
HENDERSONVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - August 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- For one night, Aretha Franklin was the Queen of Gospel - not just Soul.
Franklin has been inducted into the GMA Gospel Music Hall of Fame along with country and bluegrass star Ricky Skaggs, singer-songwriter Dallas Holm, family group The Hoppers, the late televangelist Rex Humbard and Christian rockers Love Song.
Franklin couldn't attend the induction at Trinity Music City in Hendersonville, Tenn., but sent a video message played during the ceremony.
Long before she became the queen of soul, Franklin learned to perform as a budding star in her father Rev. C.L. Franklin's New Bethel Baptist Church in Detroit.
Christian stars Jaci Velasquez and Jason Crabb, who performed Skagg's signature song "Somebody's Prayin'," hosted the event. Dailey & Vincent and Michael W. Smith were among presenters.
aretha franklin, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Skydiver injured in Washington Twp. accident
- 70s Return This Week
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $30K possibly stolen in Target armed robbery
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding 48 min ago
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!