NBC: Michael J. Fox will return to series TV
NEW YORK (AP) -August 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- NBC has made it official: Michael J. Fox is coming back to series TV more than a decade after he left to concentrate on fighting Parkinson's disease.
His new comedy series, based loosely on his personal life, has a 22-episode commitment from NBC and is set to premiere in fall 2013, the network announced Monday.
The single-camera comedy, thus far untitled, will feature Fox as a husband and father of three from New York City who is dealing with family, career and challenges that include Parkinson's, the network said. No further casting was announced.
The executive producers and co-creators are Will Gluck ("Easy A," ''Friends with Benefits") and Sam Laybourne ("Cougar Town," ''Arrested Development"), with Gluck producing through his Sony Television-based Olive Bridge Entertainment. He also will direct the pilot.
Reports of Fox's plans to return emerged last week.
Fox first won stardom for his work as Alex Keaton on the hit comedy "Family Ties," which began its seven-season run on NBC in 1982.
"To bring Michael J. Fox back to NBC is a supreme honor," said Robert Greenblatt, chairman of NBC Entertainment, "and we are thrilled that one of the great comedic television stars is coming home again."
He called Fox "utterly relatable, optimistic and in a class by himself."
"I'm extremely pleased to be back at NBC with a great creative team and a great show," Fox said.
The 51-year-old actor was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 1991. In 2000, he left his ABC comedy "Spin City" after four seasons, saying he intended to focus on helping find a cure for the disease.
He founded the Michael J. Fox Foundation, which is dedicated to finding a cure for sufferers of Parkinson's disease while promoting the development of improved therapies and raising public awareness of the disease.
Since then, he limited his acting appearances to guest shots on series including "Rescue Me," ''Boston Legal," ''Curb Your Enthusiasm" and "The Good Wife." But in May, he told ABC News that a new drug regimen has helped him control the tics that are a result of the disease and could allow him to take on more acting roles.
His feature films include the "Back to the Future" trilogy, "Teen Wolf," ''Bright Lights, Big City" and "Casualties of War." He has won five Emmy awards.
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 18 min ago
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington 50 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash 18 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 18 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls 18 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
18 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
18 min ago