Salma Hayek: 'I am proud to be Mexican'
LOS ANGELES (AP) - August 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- Salma Hayek says she is proud to be Mexican and that comments suggesting otherwise were "lost in translation."
The 45-year-old actress issued a statement Thursday after German Vogue magazine quoted her as saying she "hardly had any memories of what it is to be Mexican."
"I have never denied my background or my culture," Hayek says in the statement released by publicist Cari Ross. "I have taught my child to embrace her Mexican heritage, to love my first language, Spanish, to learn about Mexican history, music, folk art, food, and even the Mexican candy I grew up with. I have always been an active part of my community. I have tried my whole life to represent my Mexican roots with honor and pride. It saddens me when my words are lost in translation and taken out of context to hurt the people of Mexico, whom I love."
Hayek graces the cover of German Vogue and gives an interview about her role as the leader of a Mexican drug cartel in the Oliver Stone drama "Savages." Telephone calls seeking comment placed to the magazine late Thursday night went unanswered.
This is not the first time Hayek has made remarks about her Mexican background that have drawn attention. Last year, she quipped to a reporter in Spanish, "If it wasn't because of my high heels, I would still be in Coatzacoalcos with 10 children."
los angeles, movies, entertainment
Also SeeMore:Bizarre News
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video 26 min ago
- Wet to Wintry! 55 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line 28 min ago
- Moment of silence marks Boston bombings
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon 37 min ago
- Hundreds rescued after ferry sinks near South Korea
- 20-month-old found safe, Amber Alert canceled
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 27 min ago
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Woman delivers baby after church van crash
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught...
26 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish...
28 min ago
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston...
37 min ago